Friday 12 August 2011

MY THERAPIES

Welcome once again to my blog.

Some of you wanted to know the differences between the therapies I undertake.

The two major therapies I undertake are PHYSIOTHERAPY and ERGO/OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY.

Everyday I undertake one or the other of these therapies.

1. Physiotherapy has to do  with physical manipulations of the body. For paralyzed people it serves primarily as a source of physical exercise to avoid stiffness. But more importantly, it helps with the reactivation of muscles and nerves.

As a result of paralysis, a patient is not able to undertake adequate physical exercise. Through physiotherapy his body gets some of the physical activity it requires to stay healthy. The movements are strategically targeted to stimulate the nerves and muscles into reactivation or enervation.
Well, has the Bible not intimated that "Physical exercise has some value ..." (1Tim. 4:8 GNB)?

During the period of my hospitalization, I  undertook various Physiotherapy types such as physical activities and manipulations, horse riding and swimming.
In a session with my Physiotherapist

2. Ergo/Occupational Therapy
Physiotherapy may help a part of the body to regain its mobility after a nerve injury. After the recovery however that part of the body would have "forgotten" its original functions, even though it would be moving. For example, even though one's hand may begin to move and the fingers are strong they would have "forgotten" their functions such as picking up and handling objects. The mobility of the legs also, could have been restored but they too would have "forgotten" their functions of supporting the body to stand or walk.

In a session with my Ergo therapist
The role of Ergo or Occupational therapy is to "retrain" that part of the body to "remember" what they used to do and do them, or learn to do them in a different way.

In my case, after the surgery I suffered almost a zero-mobility of my hands and feet. When my right hand recovered it had to be retrained. I had to learn how to handle a toothbrush, pick up a piece of paper, hold and write with a pen, hold a glass of water or tea cup as well as handling a spoon/fork and using them.
My right hand is now described as 98% restored in mobility and function. It would interest you to know that it was only with two fingers that I have written the two latest books as well as everything you are reading from this blog.

Similarly, when my feet began to move, they had to be retrained to support my body to stand and to walk. By the grace of God I am making good progress.


My wife Martha and Apostle Agyin, (National Head of COP, Holland) in a pose with me after church service when the latter visited us recently

This issue of parts of the body "forgetting" their functions sounded very interesting to me. In Psalm 137:5 King David revealed that parts of the body could forget their functions. He said, "If I forget you, O Jerusalem, may my right hand FORGET its skill" King David knew over three thousand years ago that parts of the body could "forget" their functions! When it does happen, it must be retrained to remember how to do them.

Isn't it interesting how in some of these things medical science confirms the Word of God?

A father and son, Joseph on a recent visit to us
Well, these are some of the things I do as I await the LORD'S miraculous intervention. I know that men could do their part but our healing ultimately comes from the LORD. In HIS own time He will do it.

Thanks to our dear Chairman, Apostle Dr. Opoku Onyinah, and the International Missions Board of our church, a brand-new car with a ramp was bought for me. Here, the ramp is lifting me into the car to go to church
This is the assurance that sustains me. I thank you for standing with me in persistent prayer. I still need it; we should not relent for God will grant our desire, even my complete recovery.

Please meet me again on this blog. May God richly bless you.

At my usual place at church

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info. It has taught me things I didn't know about 'therapy'!!
    It is great to see that God is moving - even if it is not as speedy as you (or we) would like. Be assured of our ongoing prayer support.
    Love to the whole family.
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may miss the use of some of your limbs, Sir, but to many of us you are as intact as ever. You still come across fully as the strong and able Apostle that we always knew. the Lord preserves you and His miracle is underway. This blog is very useful to us. Please keep it up, Sir.

    Fortunate are those who see you in Church always.
    Ofeibadu

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually did not know of this till now, but i am glad because our God has not stop being God of yesterday ,today and forever & I know he will do something new to you each and everyday until you become fully recovered.
    we love you daddy

    Liticia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! You are doing great! God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praise God!
    Apostle, I thank God for your life. This blog is a blessing for some of us, to follow what the Lord is still doing with you. You were a great blessing to me, during my college days, and I'd want you to know that, I appreciate it so much. I pray God's healing power into your body, in Jesus mighty name! God bless you, Apostle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Watching this blog gives me the needed hope that our God is able. Daddy, be assured there are people behind you who are praying day and night for your full recovery - he who has began a good work in you will surely see to its smooth completion. Remember that the God who rescued you from fire in your infancy and from assassins in your prime age never changes - he will definitely lift you up and you will absolutely join us at next year's council meeting for us all to testify of the Lord's faithfulness. "You will.... live to declare the goodness of the Lord. The Lord be with you, Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praise God, we continually rejoice with you, Daddy, for the steady progress you keep making each day. We are grateful to God for your life and trust Him to complete the work He has began. He will do it in His time and our joy will be complete. Our prayers are continually with you. God bless and keep you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praise God Apostle. This is Frank and your birthday mate Nana Konadu in Brussels Belgium. We thank God for your life and His protection. We just came across your Blog. We are praying with you and believe very soon our proposed thanksgiving service which will be a mini convention will be a reality. Thanks for supporting the youth conference which is one of the best iwe ever witnessed. Come next year and you will be our Guest Preacher on the platform in Jesus Name. Stay blessed Papa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. God richly bless you apostle,we are praying for you and know that God will get the glory in this. Take care and stay blessed man of God

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm very excited to see your improvements. May Glory be due to his name and we are still praying for you Apostle.God be with you, Amen.....Fellow member from Md, Usa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Lord thy word is certain. The battle has been won already, we just have to continue to give praise to our living God. It was nice reading from you. God bless you Daddy.......AMEN.....Simon Chris from Bronx central.USA

    ReplyDelete
  12. From Asumadu Blade/Elder Peter Quaye
    Daddy, the God who called you at the age of 40yrs to be the chairman of this church 10yrs ago will never let you down, because this God of Abraham whom through all your trial during your chairmanship will sooner lift you up, for the whole world to see the God of our dear daddy Ntumy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Praise the Lord Apostle. We really thank God for your life. You are such an encouragement, a blessing and a gift to this generations. We bless God for the courage, strength and the boldness he has given you and all that He is teaching you through all this. This comment will never be complete without mentioning Mama Ntumy - A real gem and a woman of God worthy of Emulation! Mama God richly bless you! We are still praying for you and we are confident that a day of miracle is coming, when all Daddy's parts will remember their skills at once! God is able!

    ReplyDelete
  14. we thank God for your life cos you are still an inspirer

    ReplyDelete
  15. The afflictions of the righteous.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have always been in love with you and your family. I read your book "coming with fire" and have kept it handy. I just heard you released two new books and I'm set to pick them up at the head office. As long as I have the opportunity, I'll try not to miss any info on your blog. I'm not sad about your situation because i see the hand of God moving over your life; every occurance or situation you're in be it good/bad, is God at work. the evil hordes need to brace themselves up for a mighty move of God thru you soon. I'm happy to have known you and studied from your life.;
    God bless you.
    Always keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Apostle the God you serve will surly come to your aid. G od will richly bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Working with special needs children has always reminded me of how grateful we ought to be for every step we take. I am so glad that the swamp of despondency has had no place in your spirit. Hebrews 12:12 reminds us to
    "lift up the hands that hang down,and the feeble knees; and make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed."

    May GOD be praised for HIS beautiful work in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Chrisypee,
    You have caught the point! The ability to jump out of bed, rush to the washroom, dress up, sit at table and eat, rush out of the house, perform your regular functions at work or elsewhere, clap your hands and dance in church, and the many other things we take for granted, are LUXURIES for which we really ought to be thankful to God.

    Thanks for your comments. They are very uplifting.

    ReplyDelete