Monday 29 July 2013

SEVEN YEARS AGO



Samuel Ntumy
July 26th has been etched into the annals of the NTUMY FAMILY.

First it is the birthday of our son, Samuel Kofi Ansong NTUMY, affectionately named after Apostle Samuel Kofi Ansong Rtd., one of the veteran apostles of The Church of Pentecost, and one of my mentors in the ministry.

Samuel, now 27 has grown into a handsome gentleman, an electrical engineer, a Deacon in COP and Presiding Leader of an assembly he actively helped to start in England. This has been the joy of the day which has been prudently celebrated at the family level.

July 26th however nearly became a day of tragedy for our family, church and others. That was the day when unknown assailants attacked me when I was jogging with some of my children near our North Ridge Residence in Accra.

My assailants had trailed us on a motor bike. Beside the fence wall of our residence, they overtook me (some of the children had already entered the house), turned and stopped right in front of me. My readiness to help or answer their questions turned into a nightmare when I saw the passenger behind the rider jump down, wielding a machete. Within a twinkle, when my mind processed what was happening, I knew my life was over when I saw his machete descending on my head.

Observe how the phone was slashed
In a reflexive action, I lifted both hands as if to block the machete from landing on my head. I heard an explosion, fell and found myself wriggling on the road, shouting "JESUS, JESUS, JESUS". The assailants tried to smite me a couple of times while I was on the ground but missed me all the time.

Meanwhile my screaming attracted the attention of the security guards in both my residence and the German Embassy, our neighbors. The assailants jumped on their motor bike and sped away. They pulled me out of the concrete gutter into which I had fallen, with bleeding all over.

They examined me hurriedly and found me clinching to my Nokia Phone which had been slit from the top-right corner. They rushed me to hospital where my wounds were sutured, treated and was discharged.

Analyzing the whole incident, we discovered the miracle of how the LORD worked out my rescue from my assailants! When I reflexively raised up my hands, the LORD directed the  machete to land on the Nokia phone, instead of my head, hacking the metal casing of the phone  all the way down by a few centimeters. The impact caused the phone to explode.

What would have happened if the full force of the descending machete had landed on my head? ........
The next few days, Ghana responded in an amazing way. Our political and religious leaders, Christians and many others from civil society paid us visits, including the Vice President of the Republic, H.E Aliu Mahama. The electronic and print media reported and analyzed the incident. The questions on everybody's mouth were, "Was it an assassination attempt; a case of mistaken identity; a robbery; what? Who would want to kill Apostle Ntumy?'
My sixth book, STRUCK DOWN BUT NOT KILLED, details that incident.

  

As I reflect on this event, my mind races down memory lane and recollect some of the great deliverances of God in my life:
1. Survived two wars in Northern Ghana between the Konkomba and Nanumba tribes while I was serving as a teacher in Yendi (1980-1982);
2. When the "Sword of Damocles" hung poignantly over us during the atrocious civil war in Liberia while we served as missionaries in that country (1989-1991);
3. When I spent 165 days as a hostage with my wife and four of our children, in the company of about 2,200  others in the dense forest of Lower Nimba County in Liberia during the civil war in that country (August 1990-February 1991). Many of our compatriots were executed while others died of starvation and disease.
4. During an uprising against Ghanaians in Ivory Coast following a football match between two teams of those countries. I escaped lynching by the skin of the tooth while driving to teach some Pastor-Students in our Bible School at Adiake, 60 km from Abidjan. My wife and family at home in Abidjan were miraculously rescued from a similar fate by the timely arrival of the Police on the scene.
5. Survived two food-poisoning attacks.
6. Accidents on the road as well as stormy waves on the Volta Lake
7. When I was engaged in a couple of direct encounters with spirit beings at Yendi, Osramani and Krachi Nkwanta.
Adorned in my national award sash, the OVC



As I reflected on these and other great acts of God in my life, I recollected young David's positive declaration as he stood before King Saul, ready to go and fight Goliath:

"The LORD that delivered me out of the paw of the lion, and out of the paw of the bear, he will deliver me out of the hand of this Philistine" (I Sam. 17:37 KJV).
As I reflect and meditate on what happened to me seven years ago, and the many other mighty acts of God in my life, I draw strength from the LORD and heave a sigh of certitude and   say within me that "The LORD who has been my helper, and who has delivered me from all attacks, troubles and dangers to this day will also see me through my present paralyzed condition  and perfect His will in me at His appointed time.

LET ALL WHO HAVE CONTINUED TO STAND WITH ME IN PRAYER DECLARE, "AMEN."

47 comments:

  1. Apostle, I really thank God for your lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen. The LORD is Good. May He demonstrate His goodness to you in all things

      Delete
    2. Yes, He will. God bless you.

      Delete
    3. Apostle Ntumi,

      You are in deed an INSPIRATIONAL

      Delete
    4. It is the doing of the LORD. He uses the things we go through as light posts to brighten the roads others travel on and encourage their resolve.

      Delete
    5. Amen, we thank God for your life Apostle.

      Delete
    6. Thank you, Akwasi and may God bless you.

      Delete
  2. Hi Mike,

    You first came into our lives in 1990. At that time you were missing in Liberia and we were on our first visit to Ghana - the church were praying fervently for you and your young family.
    In 1992 we transferred to Ghana and shared the home of (then) Apostle Opoku Onyinah and his family along with a very young Sammy Ntumy. A very clever young man even at that time. You were stationed in Cote d'Ivoire. Our paths crossed again.
    From there we met from time to time when you visited the Missions Office during your service in France and more frequently when you took up the role of Chairman of the Church of Pentecost.
    Our paths continue to cross even now.
    You lived through all the above experiences and I can vouch that God has truly got his hand upon your life. You have every cause to praise God and we are delighted to join you in that praise as our lives have become richer through knowing you and all your wonderful family. May God continue to bless you all.
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mama Trish,

      My eyes are tear-stained, tears of gratitude to God for His great acts in my life. You paint a clear picture of how the various things which were happening to us resonated on the other side. You are a witness to many of these things and participated very actively in the process by which God delivered us... PRAYERS
      Sure, our paths continue to cross as we continue to bear each other in prayer. It is even greater joy when we have the privilege of meeting face to face.
      May the LORD continue to bless you, your dear husband John, my dear friend and the rest of your family.

      Delete
  3. Amen n Amen
    Indeed Daddy, ur life alone preaches da existence of a great God who is ever faithful.

    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Robert,

      Praise be to God who never allows anything to happen to us without a purpose, though we may not understand. May our lives continue to be sermons which lead people to Christ and strengthen the knees of the feeble.

      Delete
  4. Thanks be to God for His indescribable Gift of His Son. His life in you makes you a winner in all circumstances. We love you and are with you in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMEN, dear Apostle. Your prayers moved "the Hand that moves the world" to bring about all that I am talking about. May He lead and guide you as you shepherd the Pentecostal and Charismatic fraternity in Ghana as General Secretary.

      Delete
  5. ohh daddy, is my prayer that u will rise n be the Apostle Ntumy i personally know. whn u onece came to tarkwa for pentecost hour program.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Theo,

    The LORD is in control. Let's keep praying. He will work things out in His own way and in His own time

    ReplyDelete
  7. God is awesome...am encouraged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, but we haven't seen even a tenth of His awesomeness. We see it from stage to stage.

      Delete
  8. Some Christians cite the Devine interventions of others. Yours has been a true personal experience witnessed by all. Your walk with God has yielded great dividends and I believe many have through you experiences been saved. The thought on my mind is that if a mere mortal like Elijah could command the rains to stop and it does until he commands it back after three years, and you, also a mere mortal have been through these experiences and delivered by His grace then I and a teaming others (proof by induction) have lots of increased FAITH in HIM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Austin.

      Sometimes our resolve is strengthened if we see some people going through similar situations as ourselves. We know we are not alone; we know we are not experiencing those things because we have sinned against God. Such people are strengthened to wait for the timing of God. I am grateful to God for the opportunity for Him to use me in this way. BLESSINGS

      Delete
  9. Daddy am i really inspired by your life history experience and how far the Lord has brought you. I wish Sammy happy birthday and I pray dat whatever is left for God to do. he will do it to the glory of his son Jesus Christ's name amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bismark,

      Thanks for your words of encouragement. I am sure Sammy will see your birthday wish and respond. May God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  10. Daddy the Lord is truly our helper and He will always lead us to a Glorious End.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in 100 per cent agreement. BLESSINGS, beloved daughter

      Delete
  11. 26th July of seven years ago. How can I forget when my birthday nearly turned into a tragedy. I was in the room when my sister rushed in with blood on her weeping and exclaiming: They're trying to kill Daddy! Then she rushed out.

    It was like a dream. It was so shocking that I just didn't know what to think. I run out to see what was happening. Then I saw you, Daddy, with bloodied tissues and pads over your hand, everybody around trying to help stop the bleeding.

    When a car was organised to send you to the hospital, I jumped in. So many thoughts passed through my mind. There had been many near-accidents I had experienced with you. I remembered many times when travelling with you, and it often looked like accidents wanted to happen. Other drivers would suddenly do unexpected things, causing our driver to quickly react. I remember one time on the Accra-Cape Coast road when a car bumped into the rear of ours... you questioned the driver and he said his brake had failed to work just at that moment. Another time on the Accra-Tema motorway when a long vehicle entered our lane and caused our driver to swerve off the road and back on to avoid a collision. And other similar experiences.

    But this was different. This was no adventure. It hit me that I could have lost my dad in an instant. In a moment when all seemed well, life for our family could have taken a tragic turn.

    At times like these when we reminisce about how the Lord God Almighty delivered you and all the family from so many perils, what comes to mind is Psalm 124:


    1 If the Lord had not been on our side—
    let Israel say—
    2 if the Lord had not been on our side
    when people attacked us,
    3 they would have swallowed us alive
    when their anger flared against us;
    4 the flood would have engulfed us,
    the torrent would have swept over us,
    5 the raging waters
    would have swept us away.
    6 Praise be to the Lord,
    who has not let us be torn by their teeth.
    7 We have escaped like a bird
    from the fowler’s snare;
    the snare has been broken,
    and we have escaped.
    8 Our help is in the name of the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.

    (NIV)

    Sammy Ntumy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said,Sammy. Your recollections are truly awe-inspiring.God bless you and all the Ntumy family.

      K Frempong-Boadu

      Delete
    2. Amen. God bless you for your prayers and goodwill.

      Looking forward, we trust that the good Lord who has good plans, and who has started a good work in our Papa will carry it on to completion. We know there is far more to come.

      God bless you sir.

      Delete
    3. To you both, Bro Frempong-Boadu and Sammy Ntumy, I express gratitude and wish every blessing.

      Delete
    4. Sammy, it pleases me greatly to know you are doing well. I have fond recollections of our time at Asylum Down COP. I hope we can be in touch again. May God's blessings follow you continually.

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sam, your memory of events simply amazes me. You witnessed many of these events first-hand. As a growing up man then, I never asked whether you took note of those events. I am impressed to know that you did, and still recollect those you saw vividly.

      I am glad to know that those events did not cower you into a corner somewhere but you have caught hold of our spiritual anchor in the passage you quoted above, "Our help is in the name of the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth."

      God richly bless you, dear son.

      Delete
  13. Be strong, vigorous, and very courageous. Be not afraid, neither be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.
    May His presence remain with you and may He continue to direct your path to your divine destination in Jesus' name, Amen!

    Edmund Mensah Hlah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen and Amen. Thank you very much, Sir Eddie, for your words of encouragement. God bless you.

      Delete
  14. Amen. The sovereign God is our fortress. He has surely prevailed and is always in control. God bless you daddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Eben,

      Thanks for your blessings. You were with us in Yendi, and though you were only a kid then, you may have some faint recollects of the internecine war. BLESSINGS.

      Delete
  15. Dear Apostle Ntumy,

    I trust the Lord is even doing greater things with you than in the past. May our Heavenly Father be glorified through you in the lives of many more and my heart desire is that all men shall come to the saving knowledge of our Lord and Master Jesus Christ. May you continually be a mantle bearer in this pursuit. God, our Father, bless you.

    George Otsibah Jnr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear George,
      Thank God for your depth of insight and your noble desire of seeing all men coming to the saving knowledge of Christ. May Christ constantly be revealed in and through us for His glory.
      Blessings

      Delete
  16. Apostle, what else can I add? Your life shows clearly the manifested promises of the living God. He will take you out of this again. God keep you.
    We love you, apostle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mark,

      Your remark almost escaped my eyes. The promises of God are "yes and amen." He is more than able to perform what He has promised. Thanks for your prayers and support.

      Delete
  17. papa,votre témoignage est très émouvant. Ce témoignage révèle la puissance de Dieu et surtout sa fidélité envers ses enfants.Que Dieu vous bénisse et vous accorde une longue vie car nous avons toujours besoin de vos écrits.Merci surtout pour le travail que vous avez abattu en côte d'ivoire. Grâce à vos efforts nous aussi nous avons connu Dieu et nous le servons dans cette merveilleuse église.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mon cher Pasteur,

      Merci pour tes remarques sur mon blog. Ma priere toujour est que le Seigneur me fortifier en toutes choses pour pouvoir accomplir sa volonte.

      Biens des choses a' toutes et a' tous en Cote D'Ivoire.

      Delete
  18. Très cher père c'est avec de grandes émotions qu'il nous est donné de vous voir. Votre témoignage démontre le grand homme de Dieu que vous êtes. Pour nous jeunes pasteurs en Côte d'Ivoire vous êtes un mentor, une source intarissable d'inspiration et de motivation pour l'accomplissement de l'oeuvre de Dieu. Nos salutations à notre maman votre chère épouse et que Dieu continue de vous bénir et vous fortifier.
    Je suis le Pasteur Christian Kouamé Yao Directeur National de la Jeunesse de L'Eglise de Pentecôte en Côte d'Ivoire

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Apostle Ntumy,

    God richly bless you for your life and for blazing the trial for young ones like us to follow. Reading your blog brings much encouragement to me. I am convinced that whatever the devil orchestrates against the saints of God, our Lord turns it into a testimony, encouragement, a blessing and eventually His glory. I am persuaded that wherever you are now, you are bringing glory to God.

    God bless you tremendously for your life and particularly for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nicholas,
      Comments like yours are very uplifting and strengthen our resolve to keep on keeping on.

      Yes, that is our ambition, to BRING HIM GLORY IN ALL THINGS AND AT ALL TIMES. Blessings

      Delete