Saturday 17 November 2012

ALIU MAHAMA: EXCELLENCY WITH HUMILITY; POWER WITH MEEKNESS


Aliu delivering an address
Aliu, cool and collected
The first phone call I received the previous day from Ghana conveyed to me the news of the sickness of H. E Aliu Mahama. "Apostle Ntumy, your friend, the former Vice President, is sick. It has been reported over TV that his condition is critical" the caller told me. Subsequent calls, SMS notifications, and emails followed, conveying the same news.

Then the following day the news of his demise; Alhaji Aliu Mahama, the former Vice President of Ghana is no more.
And so it happened---that within one calendar year and only a few months apart, Ghana had lost a sitting President and a former Vice President.

Aliu in traditional outfit


The late Alhaji Aliu Mahama stepped into the political limelight in an amazing manner---directly into the office of Vice President.He considered his office as a sacred duty to God and his people. This undergirded all his actions which he undertook without self-advertising or ostentation.

In an amazing manner, Aliu Mahama combined Excellency as Veep with humility, power with meekness, officialdom with simplicity and gave governance a genuine human face. These qualities, as many people know, are scarce commodities, especially, in the arenas of power.
Aliu and I, both in traditional outfit in his Castle office
When I heard of the news, tears streaked down my cheeks. I have lost a friend. He invited me many times to his office at the Castle. He visited me at home when I survived what looked like an assassination attempt against me. He was in church to launch my autobiography. He was the guest of honor at my end-of-term service as Chairman of The Church of Pentecost and sat through the entire four-hour service.

At the official level, I served with him on the Ghana AIDS Commission. He attended our General Council meeting a couple of times and attended the funeral of my predecessor, Prophet Martinson Yeboah. The amazing thing he did was to go to the Osu Cemetery with us. He really endeared himself to us.
With his death, Ghana has lost a precious son who served his nation with great devotion and decorum, selflessness and faithfulness.

On this sorrowful ccasion, I extend my deepest condolences to the President, H. E, John Mahama, the Government and People of Ghana, his widow, Haj Ramatu, and their entire family.

Ghana's "Political Quartet" 2008
"Number One Man"--H. E John Agyekum Kufuor, then President, 2nd from right
"Number Two Man"---H. E Aliu Mahama, then Vice President, 1st from right
"Number Three Man"---Rt  Hon Sekyi-Hughes, then Speaker of Parliament, 1st from left
"Number Four Person"---H. L Georgina Theodora Wood, Chief Justice

 In this life there are many people who do not know how to play the "number two" position, the supportive role. They must be in the driving seat or our car is on the wrong road; they must be in the spotlight otherwise we are off tangent: they must be the Number One man otherwise nothing is happening.  Among the numerous tributes that could be offered, this is my greatest to Aliu Mahama:
HE SHOWED GHANAIANS HOW TO PLAY THE NUMBER TWO POSITION IN LIFE---AT ALL LEVELS


2 comments:

  1. Oh Apostle I sympathize with you for your great great lost. He was indeed a kind and in fact the best of all your best friend I KNOW THIS FOR SURE... The live wire between you and His Excellency the late Vice President represent the cordial and co-existing relationship between Ghanian Muslims and Christian with no epitome of tension. The unionism of fraternal love between you paddies, despite your religious persuasion was superb. You attended his sociopolitical functions when invited and supported his Campaign Against Indiscipline with your tentacles and rivers running through the exchanges like two countries with no border, territories and continents with no division. Of all my repeated meetings with him,there was not a meeting which ended without the name of my chairman mentioned. He was dis comely, dispirited and could not forgive himself, when I prayerfully informed him about the bad outcome of your surgery during Aid For Aids Africa meeting. He right away told me to inform you he will be calling. 27 hours after you and me spoke via telephone, he called and wish you well. Such was the Vice President His Excellence Dr Aliu Mahama I knew. You picked on his humility, but I will pick on his affability, that he is a man with sobriety of heart, a clear sense of moral judgment, courteous, tactful, modest, that's not all, also his natural mind, emotional outlooks or mood and for his characteristic attitude; he was a Vice President and muslem with pleasant disposition. He was practically Ghana's!!!!! TO VICE PRESIDENT ALIU MAHAMA, LIFE IS LIVED IN RELATIONSHIP!!!!

    Venerable Nathaniel Nii Naate Nartey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Venerable Nartey,
      Your remark is a TRIBUTE in itself and I wished every Ghanaian would read it.

      As always your choice of words and presentation are simply amazing.

      God bless you.
      Surely we are human and the LORD knows best. To Him be all the glory.

      Delete