Friday 3 February 2012

IT'S THREE YEARS NOW: NOT YET, BUT NOT

It's three years now since it all started, 2nd February, 2009--2nd February, 2012. I woke up from my anesthetic sleep in a Paris clinic paralyzed from my shoulders down.

For 27 days I was glued to my bed in an intensive ward. My life seemed to hang in the balance. Many lost hope for my very life and my recovery.

The doctor had told me before the surgery that I would lose the use of my hands and feet for between three and six days. Well, this was not to be, marking the start of an unfamiliar and rugged road I have traveled up to this point.
 

I spent a total of 209 days in hospital in 2009. The following year I spent a further 123 days in hospital for various therapies. The expected walking is still being awaited as I continue to use an electric wheelchair.

But before you hung your hands or bow your head in despair; before you ask God any questions; before your mind is clouded with doubt and your soul is intoxicated with sorrow, I would rather invite you to join me praise the LORD as we consider the "what could have been" aspect of the story; what could have happened to me three years ago had it not been for God's intervention. Or still, even if I would not have died, ponder over the various case-scenarios which could have been my lot by now!

In Psalm 124:1-7, David sang, "If the Lord had not been on our side--let Israel say--If the Lord had not been on our side when men attacked us, when their anger flared against us, they would have swallowed us alive; the flood would have engulfed us, the torrent would have swept over us, the raging waters would have swept us away. Praise be to the Lord, who has not let us be torn by their teeth. We have escaped like a bird out of the fowler's snare; the snare has been broken, and we have escaped."

Many scholars believe that David sang this song after a great national deliverance, probably after God had delivered Israel from two successive attacks by the Philistines (2 Sam. 5: 17-25). This was just after he had been crowned king. David quickly assessed the military situation. The Philistine army was very huge, spreading over a whole valley. In terms of military might, they were more powerful and fierce and tactical. They would easily overrun Israel like a raging torrent, subdue them like a flood or swallow them like a ferocious animal.

What did David do? His first response was to run away into hiding (vr 17). Then he prayed. God assured him of victory and he fought and defeated them. David's second victory was even more spectacular. God gave him the battle plan, and literally sent forth heavenly armies marching on the tops of trees to fight the Philistines (vrs 22-24).

Later as David reflected on the issue, the full weight of the would have been, that is, the reality of what would have happened, dawned on him, which inspired this song. 

Yes, it's three years now since I landed in this new situation. Our expectation has NOT YET fully manifested but I am NOT where I was three years ago. Your prayers for us have not gone unanswered. The LORD has brought about great improvements on my road to recovery. Have you thought of what could have happened to me without God's help?
 

Yes, please join me to bless and praise the LORD for having preserved me and kept my soul "..securely in the bundle of the living" ( 1Sam. 25: 29 NIV). In addition, He has strengthened me in my inner man through the Holy Spirit, and granted me a sharp and clear mind. He has graciously sharpened my writing skills, enabling me to write two books already in this condition with only two fingers! He has given me a very supportive wife and children, surrounded me with very understanding colleagues and prayerful brethren, and very dedicated health care providers. Let us praise His holy name forever.

Now for our ultimate expectation, please continue to bear us up in your prayers, knowing that He who has promised is called FAITHFUL and TRUE. He will do it in His time and for His own glory.






4 comments:

  1. It is my prayer that our faithful God will make your healing complete soon and continue to give you the grace to sail through the waiting period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Grace,
      To your solemn prayer, I say, AMEN. God bless you.

      Delete
  2. Hey dad, I thank God for what He has done, what He is doing and what He'll do. Indeed when I try to imagine what could have happened, I see that so many things could have happened, but the mighty hand of God was upon you and He brought you where you are today. I know that God will finish the excellent work He's started in you to make our joy complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those who know the secret of "what could have happened" develop a grateful disposition no matter how events turn out to be. Although my present situation is not what I was expecting after the surgery, I know that were it not for God's grace, the inevitable could have happened. It is this same grace we are awaiting to usher me to the ultimate level of complete recovery. Thanks for your continuous support.

      Delete